Frequently Asked Questions About Canadian Immigration And Citizenship

Author: Right Source Immigration Canada | | Categories: Best Canada Immigration Consultant , Canada Immigration , Immigration Applications , Immigration Firm , Immigration Services

Right Source - Month 7 - Blog Banner

Have you just immigrated to Canada, or do you hope to immigrate to Canada on a temporary or permanent basis? You may have several questions and doubts on your mind regarding Canadian immigration and citizenship. These may pertain to the process or costs involved. To clear your confusion and arm you with the information you need to make the right decisions, Right Source Immigration Canada has answered some of the most frequently asked questions about availing of Canadian citizenship and making the move work for you. These answers are based on our personal experience so that you have first-hand information to ensure your Canadian immigration success.

1. What is the difference between hiring an immigration firm versus doing it yourself?
There are many benefits of hiring an immigration and citizenship professional versus taking the risk of preparing and submitting your application. First of all, you get the advantage of knowing your options. As each application is different, a professional immigration consultant knows what options to recommend for a successful application and a smooth and happy immigration process. Next, when you choose a professional immigration firm, you get to know the immigration rules that apply to your case and gain an understanding of immigration acts and regulations that you must follow. 

Other advantages of going with a competent immigration professional are you can avoid costly mistakes, improve your chances of immigration success, and be assured of the right people in your corner should there be a problem.

2. I would like to immigrate to Canada. What should I do?
Canadian immigration is a unique opportunity for qualified individuals, and there are many different streams of Canadian immigration. Business immigration, skilled workers, education, family sponsorship, refugees, humanitarian and compassionate grounds are just a few of these categories. Each application is different, and as an experienced Canadian immigration firm, we know what options to recommend for a successful application and a smooth and happy immigration process.

3. What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?
A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is a document that an employer in Canada may need to get before hiring a foreign worker. A positive LMIA, sometimes called a confirmation letter, will show that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the job. It will also show that no Canadian worker or permanent resident is available to do the job. If the employer needs an LMIA, they must apply for one.

4. Under the Family Sponsorship Program, who is eligible?
You can sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent child under Family Sponsorship if you’re at least eighteen years of age, a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act. If you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the persons you want to sponsor become permanent residents. You must also be able to prove that you’re not receiving social assistance for reasons other than disability and show you can provide for the basic needs of any persons you want to sponsor. 

5. How can I check my eligibility for Canadian citizenship?
To be eligible for Canadian citizenship, you must be a permanent resident (landed immigrant) of Canada or have been physically present in Canada for at least one thousand and ninety-five days in the five years immediately before you apply. 

Additionally, you may need to file personal income taxes for at least three years and demonstrate adequate knowledge of English or French. You will also have to confirm you have knowledge of Canada and the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship, not have any unfulfilled conditions related to your permanent resident status or prohibited on criminal or security grounds.

6. What is Group Of Five Refugee Sponsorship? 
Group of Five (G5) Refugee Sponsorship lets five or more Canadian citizens or permanent residents sponsor a refugee or refugee family living abroad. G5s may only sponsor applicants recognized as refugees by either the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) or a foreign state. The principal applicant must already have refugee status. Having refugee status means that an authorized body has found that an individual meets its refugee definition. This authorized body can either be the UNHCR or the government of the country where the refugee is now living. To become a G5 sponsor, each member of the group must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident eighteen years or older. The group member or their representative must live in the same community where the refugee is expected to settle and agree to give settlement support for the length of the sponsorship (usually one year). All group members must provide a settlement plan and prove that they have the money to sponsor the refugee or refugees for the duration of the program.

7. As an employer, how can I find out if I need an LMIA?
In general, most employers must determine if they need an LMIA before starting the hiring process and taking on a temporary foreign worker. An LMIA confirms there is a need for a temporary foreign worker as no Canadians or permanent residents are available to do the job.

To see if you and the temporary foreign worker you want to hire are exempt from needing an LMIA or work permit, you must review the LMIA exemption codes and permit exemptions. You must then select the LMIA exemption or work permit code that seems most relevant to your hiring situation and read the detailed description. If an exemption code applies to you, you’ll need to include it in your offer of employment. You can also contact the International Mobility Workers Unit if you’re hiring a temporary foreign worker who is both currently outside Canada or from a country whose nationals are visa-exempt.

8. What is a Procedural Fairness Letter (PFL)? What should I do if I have received one?
Decision-makers in Canadian immigration and citizenship matters are required to follow the rules of procedural fairness throughout the process. Procedural fairness requires that applicants be provided with a fair and unbiased assessment of their application and informed of the decision maker’s concerns, offering them a meaningful opportunity to respond to concerns about their application. The requirement for procedural fairness applies to all types of immigration and citizenship applications and all aspects of decision-making.

If a decision-maker has concerns about an application, they are obliged to inform the applicant about their concerns by issuing a procedural fairness letter.

Generally speaking, after assessing an application, if the decision-maker has to render a refusal based on some issues in the application, they will first issue the procedural fairness letter. When you receive this letter, this means there are critical issues in your application. Therefore, you should treat this letter seriously and preferably get professional assistance in responding. 

If you have any more questions about Canadian immigration, get in touch with the experts at  Right Source Immigration Canada. We are a Canadian immigration firm based in Mississauga, Canada, helping clients navigate through complex Canadian immigration laws and regulations. We help applicants plan and manage their immigration process efficiently so that they meet their goals.

We have experience in dealing with different Canadian Immigration matters, including Express Entry cases, Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program, Federal Skilled Trade (FST) Program, Canadian Experience Class, Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP), Self Employed Program, Business Immigration, Family Sponsorship cases, Refugee and Asylum cases, Study Visa, Temporary Resident Visa, and Work Permit case (including LMIA Applications). We also help in Start-Up Visa applications for business immigration.

To learn more about how we can help you, please click here or contact us by clicking here.